Monday, July 11, 2011

Transfer 11 Week 1

BAM Transfer 11 is going to be the transfer of miracles.

First miracle? THAT I'M IN RENO AGAIN!!! 6 months at least will be spent here and I'm just plain ol' stoked. We got 3 new investigators this week, TONS of lessons, and just miracles happened left and right. GEEZ!!!

So our new investigators: Brian. We tracted into him on Thursday and he invited us back on Saturday morning. He asked us questions like, "why are there so many Christian churches?" "Did God give us free will for us to make our own choices?" "I don't think that our after life is just us sitting around...that's boring. What happens when we die?" etc etc. You can just imagine the excitement my comp and I were filled with as he asked each of these questions. We had another appt to get to, so I gave him the message of the restoration in 2 minutes, gave him a pamphlet, and scheduled a time next week where we can answer his questions. This is a grown man who has had these questions since he was 13!! How thankful I am that Heavenly Fater directed us to him.

Geneva: a 16-year-old girl who's super cute and a good friend of one of my favorite families, the Guthries. Yes, they are related to the pitcher for the baseball team the Oreals...or whatever. It's Bro Guthrie's younger brother. Anyway, back to Geneva. She played basketball with me once and we were on "team awesome" so we instantly became BFFs. That was like 2 transfers ago. And anyway, we were making cookies for service at the Guthries and Geneva was there and I was like, "Geneva, why don't you ever come to church?" and she looked at me and was like, "I don't know, but I want to come." And I was like, "BAM you're coming Sunday." And she was there. And then I asked her if we could teach her more (because she said she wanted to be a missionary and travel...haha) and she agreed!! There was a bit of confusion though and there were a TON of people there...but Geneva came up to me after and was like, "I wasn't nervous or anything with all those people, I just want you to know." She's such a sweet girl. I'm excited to see her grow.

Our other investigator is the son of a lady who hasn't been to church in YEARS. He's 9, and super precious, and his older brother (11) wants to learn too, but we didn't get to meet him because he was camping for the weekend when we went over. BAM.

Potentials for this next week? We have a couple--one being a child of an inactive couple who wants them to be baptized, so we are going to try to meet with them tonight or tomorrow. Hmm...yeah. Jo's doing amazing, Jacqui's great, Calvin's baptism got pushed back to the 25 and pushed back HOPEFULLY for the last time. One of our investigators has cancer again, bless his heart. So we're praying extra hard for him. Emily is sweet and came to a fireside last night. Geez, everyone is just doing amazing!!

Funnies of the week: So the Chatterleys' invited us over for lunch after church and we had quesadillas. Well, I decided I wanted hot salsa...don't ask me how it happened, but as I tried to open it (it was brand new) the thought came "I should just have Bro Chatt do it..." and then BAM I opened it, it bounced off the island I was standing at and shot across the kitchen before hitting a cupboard and then falling and shattering on the ground. Needless to say there was Salsa quite literally everywhere...even on Bro Chatt's white shirt, and he was sitting 3 feet behind me. I included a picture of the destruction.

I was also trying to share a spiritual thought after dinner by singing a song "How Can I be?" (youtube it). We happened to be outside and our Zone Leaders happened to be at the dinner as well...and as I was singing, quite literally a hawk got in a fight with two birds and they collided in the backyard , about 10 feet from where I was singing, before bolting away. So here I was, jamming, "How can I be forever? Like the promise to the three Nephites..I wanna be Samuel the Lama..what?" It was funny and awkward because I didn't know if I should continue or not. I just love this work. I love the ups and the downs. The ups remind you why you're here and the downs remind you who to rely on--the Lord. He knows what's going on. He knows how I work, how my comp works, and how everyone we're teaching works. He's just down right amazing.

I'm constantly in awe of the world and how it works, how people work. I'm thankful for the education I'm receiving here. I'm thankful for the righteous examples of missionaries that have gone before me--my dad, my grandpa, my friends. I'm thankful for the example of companions, of district leaders and zone leaders. Some of my favorite Elders have left this past transfer, and I'm so thankful for the opportunity I've had to know them, for their examples of diligence and working 'til the end.

I love this. I love y'all. This is the best work ever.

love love love,
Sister Mack

oh, and the other picture is of me with one of the Fisks' baby puppies!!!!

0 comments: