Monday, August 29, 2011

Transfer 12 Week 3

Holy night, y'all. Fun fun week full of lots of tracting, walking, laughing, singing, frustration, and joy!! This work is the greatest work there is, no matter what.

So first things first. Sister Knighton and I have a goal to tract our whole area in a transfer, which means we have to tract @ least 2 streets a day. So far we're falling behind a tad, so it may take us a transfer and 1/2, but that's okay--it'll be done. We have an appointment with Edgar, a man the Sisters found via tracting just before I got here, on Wednesday. I pray it goes well--we met him this past week and he seems super nice. Clearly he was made for the gospel :o). We have some potential investigators, the son of a less-active family that fed us this past week. They reminded me of Brother Tedjamulia, always putting more on my plate. When I was finished she would ask me if I wanted more, and I'd say, "oh no, thanks, it was delicious." And she would say, "what?! You didn't like my food? Please, please have more. It makes me happy when you eat more." So, my companion and I left feeling like a pair of baby balugas. I laughed when we got into the car and told Sister Knighton that Sister Russo reminded me so much of Brother Tedj. Oh the memories of growing up. Sometimes when I tell stories from college or high school I forget that I've been on a mission for a year, and then I realize that life has moved on. I think that'll be weird when I come home--folks having changed since I've been on my mission. Weird. But I've changed too, so it's okay. It's just so crazy how fast time has flown. I relate to Jacob when he says, "...I have written according to the best of my knowledge, by saying that the time passed away with us, and also our lives passed away like as it were unto us a dream..." (Jacob 7: 26). My life truly has passed by so fast since I've been out here. He puts it perfectly. I wake up still sometimes and can't help but smile because I'm really doing this. I'm really putting my all into this. I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father has blessed me with an even stronger desire to be 110% obedient and diligent. I collapse into bed exhausted at night, sleep like a rock, and wake up at 6:15. Funny, I never thought 6:15 in the morning would ever again seem like a normal hour to me, but I can honestly and finally say that it's not difficult to wake up at 6:30. Sure, I'm still tired, but my mind is alert. I'm ready to go. It's awesome. It makes me sad that I can't serve 24 months, though. I would love to kill it for 8 more months.

To continue from last week:

3. We're not here for us to become who we want to be, but for us to become who the Lord needs us to be. I realize more and more every day that I'm here to help others. Each of us is. There are specific people placed in our lives for us to help find the light that the gospel brings. We as members of the church have the light and knowledge of the gospel--the true and living waters. I compare us to the stones that the Lord lit up for the Jaredites in Ether 6: 3--"And thus the Lord caused stones to shine in darkness, to give light unto men, women, and children, that they might not cross the great waters in darkness." It is our job to be that guiding light to those around us through the great waters of life. It's up to us to make our light brighter by doing the things the Lord wants us to do--including prayer and scripture study and attending church. We can all improve in all three of those things, even if we do them all the time.

I'll do a fourth next week since I'm running low on time.


I love you guys so much. I am so thankful for everything the Lord has given me. I'm excited to be here in Vegas and to do what the Lord needs me to do. I'm working hard, kicking butt to the end. I'm going out with a bang.


love love love,
sister mack


"smiling is my favorite"
-elf

0 comments: