Monday, August 29, 2011

Transfer 12 Week 5

"FOR THE LOVE OF BROWNIES!!"--our loverly investigator, Thaddeus.

Everyone. I have an announcement to make. I've been a FOOL!!!! I have been focusing on the thorns of mission life as opposed to looking at the beauty of the flower. HOW COULD I BE SO SILLY???? But alas, I've repented and moved on. Thank goodness!!! I'm so thrilled to be here. First things first:

Thaddeus: 20-year-old investigator of ours who is ridiculously hilarious. He says the strangest things, laughs louder than myself, but has a true blue desire to come to know our Savior, Jesus Christ. He prays more often than anyone else I know, reads his scriptures, and shares the gospel with everyone. All of his friends have ditched him because he doesn't want to drink or do drugs anymore, but he doesn't even let it phase him. He honestly is such a gem. He has been telling everyone that he has a baptism date of September 17, and we're excited because he really wants this more than even we want it for him. The only thing holding him back are his cigarettes. So, we have been trying to get him to give him some boosts or something, so my companion offered to make him brownies every week he doesn't smoke. And he said, "For the love of brownies, I'll quit!" Of course he was joking, but he was really being serious about us making him brownies. So alas, we are about to start our journey in making him brownies. But honestly, he is a true miracle. His gramma talked to us the other day while he was in his bedroom for a minute and told us how much he had changed. He's more patient, more loving, his reading has improved, amongst other things. This gospel is a gospel of miracles, and amazing things can happen if we live it to it's fulness.

Other miracles have happened too. We found Heldder and his girlfriend, Ashley. I had taught Heldder's sister the new member lessons and stuff in my first area oh so long ago, so we had the instant connection. He was baptized last summer but went inactive shortly after, and his girlfriend he lives with isn't a member. So we asked her if she'd like to learn and she agreed. They're both amazing and so sweet. They made us ribs last week at it was quite delicious. They're both culinary students. We also got in to another inactive man's door, and he and his poor wife had literally just lost a child. The day we called they were in the hospital, and he allowed us to come over because he knew we were an answer to his prayers. So after talking briefly of our Heavenly Father's plan of Salvation, we asked her if she'd e willing to learn more about the gospel, and she's all for it. His work schedule is going to be a little tough to work around, but I know it's meant to be. Heavenly Father has been preparing all of these people to hear about the gospel. How blessed am I to be here right now?????

I love this gospel. I'm so thankful for this time I have to work on Christ-like attributes that I need so desperately in my life. Man. So fortunate.

So last week? I think I mentioned going on a hike. Well, it turns out I'm allergic to Las Vegas dust--or at least the dust on Lone Mountain. So I got a rash that started just on my arms, but then spread to my legs. FINALLY the red is almost gone--but not after I had to take steroids and hard-core benedryl. It was funny because when I got the perscription for the steroids the lady was like, "these will cause you to be anxious and a little angry at times." SO TRUE!!! We left a lesson on Thursday night and I don't even know what I was mad at, but I ranted to my companion for like 15 minutes about how angry I was at nothing, throwing my hands in the air and being dramatic. Later we talked about how ridiculously hilarious that was because I had no cause to be angry. Good thing I have a patient and understanding companion.

We also had Zone Conference this past week. It was my last one, so I was asked to give a departing testimony. Uhh...well, let's just say I was a tad emotional. It was so embarrassing...I stood up there in silence for like 15 seconds, and then I was about to sob out loud, so instead I started talking (or yelling in all actuality), and said, "I'M AN UGLY CRIER AND I'M LOUD WOW THAT'S EMBARRASSING" and then there was a wimpered cry at the end too. And then I laughed, and everyone was laughing...and it was embarrassing. Not my finest moment, but I was able to pull it together and share my testimony. Time flies. I'm so fortunate to be here. I can't get over that.

Anywho, I love a scripture in James 1:22--it talked about how we need to be "doers of the word, not hearers only." or something. It made me reflect and apply that to being a doer of the word and not just a teacher. How can I better live my life in a way where people can receive a testimony of the things I say by watching me do the things I do? How can we all improve?


I love you guys. So much.

love love love,
Sister Mack

0 comments: