Monday, April 18, 2011

Transfer 5 Week 1

It’s here. I knew it was coming. I even predicted it. Three days prior to transfers I predicted what was going to happen to each of the us in my companionship and wrote it in my journal. Sister Cockrell would go back to Vegas Zone. Sister Johnson would be training the new greenie, Sister MauMau (kinda pronounced like “meowmeow”), and I would be headed up north to Gardnerville. Why I picked that of the three locations up north, I have no idea. But I found out Saturday night and WOO BABY the tears have been flowing freely ever since. It’s a little embarrassing when you can’t keep yourself composed when someone hugs you bye and tells you how great you were to have in the area or whatever. But what I’ve discovered is that I really just didn’t know what a mission is like. To me my mission was South Zone, and my companion Sister Johnson. But now I’ve discovered that missions go beyond that—even all the way up north. Man, and I had JUST gotten used to the nasty heat here!!! Granted it’s gone down to hang out in the 90’s now, but this week’s forecast for Gardnerville is a high of 57-63 with a low of 30-38. Talk about traumatic changes!!! Sooo if anyone wants to send me a scarf or anything… ;o). Our ward mission leader’s mom in the Southern Hill’s ward took me to buy a coat today. But then I realized I would have no way to get it up North with me since our luggage is so limited. So we settled for purchasing a thick sweater. It was really nice of her to take us out.
I’ve been really reflective of my time here in South Zone. I’ve shed countless tears over the past couple of days because it’s hard to know when I’ll see these people again. I can plan for next year around November/December all I want, but who knows if that’s how it’ll really happen. I just know that missions are the best things that can happen to people, and that through the plan of Salvation I can find comfort in knowing that although I may not see these people HERE again, there is always the hereafter. Felicia, one of my recent converts, gave me her favorite scarf to take with me up north. Sarah, a recent convert, gave me her lucky locket. I said bye to Brother Fish, one of my ward mission leaders, and couldn’t even say anything when I left his family’s house. People cannot even begin to comprehend how much they’ve helped me grow. I have become such a better person since I’ve arrived here. Six months have already passed. MAN!!!
I have to keep this short because I have so much packing to do and more goodbyes to be said. BUT I love you guys. General Conference was AMAZING. I wrote down notes specificly relating to Justin and Jordan. And President Holland’s talk was incredible and made me realize how much you, Mom and Dad, have sacrificed for me. How ignorant we are as children growing up to the sacrifices of our parents, and how most of the time those sacrifices are underappreciated if even noticed. So I want to thank you guys from the BOTTOM OF MY HEART for supporting me my whole life, and for the continued support I receive out here. You are my heroes—legit.
To end this, I just want to put some memories of my experiences from my time in the South Zone of Soul
1. Walking 10 miles on my third day in the mission field, jogging home because we were late for our dinner appointment to pick us up, and discovering my feet were bleeding once we arrived.
2. Tracting into drunks, half-naked people, people in boxers, and people who don’t have a clue.
3. Realizing that with faith in our Savior, we can do ANYTHING
4. LEARNING TO DEPEND ON THAT FAITH
5. Taking 4 bottles of strong alcohol from a Less-Active’s house and him not drinking a drop since
6. Teaching Felicia and her sons, Tyler and Sam. Witnessing the changing powers of the gospel in their lives.
7. Ukulele tracting into the coolest couple in the world, Michelle and Paul. They may not have started the discussions with me present, but in the Lord’s time they will see the light of the gospel.
8. Recognizing that things happen in the Lord’s time and embracing that.
9. Volleyball with our investigators and Brother Fish (WML) spiking the volleyball into the back of a little girl’s head.
10. Pulling a trailer down a main road for .5 miles with Sister Johnson, laughing the whole time because she was too short to pull it with me, so I had to do it by myself.
11. Learning to love the people.
12. Witnessing and being apart of the conversion of Kenny Varner and Mathew De Los Reyes.
13. Shoveling rocks as service on two occasions, once in a skirt.
14. Carrying a small tree down the street for service on my shoulder. In a skirt.
15. District and Zone breakfasts
16. Rotten eggs and fish being put into the back of our car for WEEKS and it smelling WRANK NASTY and we didn’t even know.
17. Getting to know my zone the past two transfers—we have some of the best Elders in the mission here.
18. Finishing the Book of Mormon
19. Singing “Come Thou Fount” with Sister Johnson every chance we got with the Uke and guitar
20. This is my first area, with many more memories. I’m sure as the weeks pass I’ll bring up other funny stories or whatever.
I love you all more than you know. You keep me strong. Thanks for the prayers. I hope everyone enjoyed conference as much as I did.
love love LOVE,
Sister Mack

0 comments: