Monday, April 18, 2011

Transfer 5 Week 2

Want to know what Garnderville looks like? Open ranges of farmland, beautiful snow-capped mountains, farm animals everywhere you look, people missing plenty of teeth, beautiful sunsets, and plenty of cold. It's not so bad right now, really. I can't complain too much. The computers in this new library are a bit slow, but at least I have them!! And my allergies are causing much havoc on my soul. I mistakenly didn’t take my allergy medicine yesterday because it was fast Sunday and I’m not supposed to take it on an empty stomach. Well, that was pretty much a bad idea. I’m borderline sinus-infectioning, but that’s just one of the pleasures of waking up to cow and horse smell. But the people here are uber nice. I can’t complain at all.

The drive up here was pretty intense—we left at 8:00am and I arrived in Gardnerville at 7:00pm, just in time for dinner. On the way up the Brothers driving the van (that included me and 6 Elders) pointed out 4 brothels. It was very odd. We also saw Navy bunkers or something, a rain storm like nobody’s business, and a full, complete rainbow over Walker Lake. There were hundreds of ducks in there as well. It was cool to see. We were able to have some incredible gospel related talks, mostly generated by me to make the drive go by, and the spirit was strong. It was super hard to leave everyone in the South behind, but I was comforted on the drive up there. Heavenly Father knows what’s best in ALL cases. I cried when I left Sister Johnson. I miss her, mainly because I found a best friend in here and she was with me through some hard times in the beginning. But she’s perfect to train Sister MauMau, the new Sister missionary.

The work up here is INCREDIBLE!!! We have close to 10 investigators, and with 3 we are trying to set a baptismal date for the end of this month. They are facing a lot of adversity in the form of their father, but I am constantly comforted and reminded that this is the Lord’s work, not mine, and with careful prayer and faith, all things will happen in His time. Doubt not, fear not (D&C 6:36). My new companion is Sister Kartchner. She’s from Utah. She’s interesting, and I feel that this transfer will be one that will be of huge spiritual growth. I look forward to it. I already get so much more out of my scripture study as of late because I find myself praying constantly throughout the day. I feel more at peace, more content to sit and listen and ponder. It’s nice.

Elder Pearson of the 70 is doing a mission tour here. We have our conference with him tomorrow. We’ve all had to prepare talks for it, and I’m excited about mine because everything came to my mind directly. I know that I prepared my talk the way Heavenly Father wanted me to. It’s even almost exactly 3 minutes. I’m excited for this learning opportunity and for the chance to finally meet ALL the Sisters—I can’t wait.

I’ve been reading in Doctrine and Covenants a lot lately, and there’s a verse that I’ve found that brings me great comfort and joy. It’s in 50: 40-44. It’s just amazing. I encourage you all to read it because I can’t really expound on it since I have very VERY little time left on the computer.

Uncle Gary—Thanks for the email!! We’ll get to go to the Reno temple this transfer. I’m excited. It’ll be the 4th temple I’ve been able to visit since February!!

Anyway, I love you guys so much. Thanks for the continued support. Pray that I don’t freeze to death up here!!! Though really I can't complain--rumor has it that finland can get -30 sometimes!!! I won't be NEARLY that cold!!!

0 comments: