Monday, April 18, 2011

Transfer 8 Week 2

I'm alive. And that's saying something. Man, I don't even know where to begin!! First things first I suppose, Sister Dixon is amazing. Honest to goodness the Lord couldn't have put me with a better companion in this area at this time. She's about 5'2, blonde, and from the Yutica stake in central New York. She has 4 siblings, 3 brothers and 1 sister, is the second oldest, and like me, is the first missionary out of her siblings. Holla!! She's super sweet. And she laughs at my jokes, which is an added PLUS. We live in this cute little apartment thing in the backyard of a member's house. It's super cute--2 bedrooms and a bathroom with a sweet living room. The only issue is that our bedroom doesn't really get the heat, so we get pretty cold at night. Oh, and I'm sleeping on the top bunk of a bunk bed for the first time in....who knows how long. But I love it. The people here are FANTASTIC!! They are all so friendly and willing to help us out...we're just hoping to help them realize that helping us out would be referring us to their friends. :o).
What's it like being Double Transferred into an area? Well, honestly it's not something I'd wish upon my worst enemy--at least not while training. There are so many responsibilities I feel that I have now and it's difficult to feel that I've accomplished all I was supposed to by the end of the day. But I feel more reliant on the Lord than I ever have and I'm thankful for His guidance. My first morning there I was feeling overwhelmed and I missed Gardnerville and the feel of the work there. Before doing my personal study I knelt in prayer and tearfully asked the Lord to give me comfort. Shortly thereafter I began my personal study and BAM lo and behold the Lord answered by prayers IMMEDIATELY as I read Mosiah 7:33 (But if ye will turn to the Lord with full purpose of heart, and put your trust in him, and serve him with all diligence of mind, if you do this, he will, according to his own will and pleasure, deliver you out of bondage), Mosiah 8: 18 (thus God has provided a means that man, through faith, might work mighty miracles; therefore he becometh a great benefit to his fellow beings.), and Mosiah 9:18 (And God did hear our cries and did answer our prayers; and wdid go forth in his might...). Tender mercies of the Lord.
Another tender mercy--we got a new investigator in Washoe Valley!!! A 90-year-old woman named Ruth!!! We told her it's never too late to be taught and baptized, and she agreed. Her son, Dick, said he'd like to learn as well, so hopefully he'll join in on our lesson on Friday. AND we have a solid potential investigator--Calvin. He's a 16-year-old friend of the Chatterly's boy, Tanner (CHATTERLY'S KNOW THE ERNSTS!!!), and he's totally solid. We have an appointment with him a week from today. I think this transfer I'll realize how amazing the Lord is. He knows EXACTLY what we need, the moment we need it. The SECOND I let my doubts get a hold of me He sends me comfort through scripture, my companion, a lesson, or the Spirit. I am so thankful for Him and his constant guidance and love. I could be no where without it.
Sunday night we had the opportunity to teach a future mission president, Brother Dyer, and his wife. We thought we were just going over there to get to know them and to ask him about the Young Men (he's the president). But lo and behold, he asked us to teach him the second lesson (Heavenly Father's plan of us). I was only nervous because my companion and I had yet to review it together, and he asked for a condenced version. So we opened with a prayer, and away we went. Sweet Sister Dixon was so nervous, but she did really well. I had the opportunity to testify about the atonement of Christ. I am SO thankful for that in my life. I can't get over it. Christ suffered everything for us because he loves us. Every fear and insecurity that we've ever known, every doubt, every fear, every hurt feeling or heart ache. I am thankful for the knowledge that I have that I can turn to him for everything. Literally everything. How amazing is that? I encourage each of you to utalize that by praying and asking him for all you stand in need of.

I am so thankful for this church. I'm thankful for the opportunity that I have to devote my entire self to the service of our Lord. It's so weird because I'm soon approaching the time when I only have 8 months left. By the end of this transfer I'll almost hit a year, and that is mind boggling. But I'm not going to even think about that because it'll make me sad. Thank goodness missionary work doesn't end when I have to take off my tag.

I love you all so much. Happy Missionary Awareness Day (valentine's day...forget singles awareness, it's missionary awareness). Keep doing what you're doing and yeah. Loves.

love love love,
Sister Mack

0 comments: