Monday, April 18, 2011

Transfer 9 Week 5

wow, we are already in week 5 of transfer 2 in Reno. I can't even begin to tell you how fast time flies. We've been here for almost 3 months!! I was talking about something that happened in Gardnerville and I was like, "oh, it was probably a month ago..." before I realized that I've been here for 2+ months and the funny incident I was referring to happened back in like November. Where has time gone?

So anyway, the purpose of this whole entry is going to be for me to show gratitude for everything Heavenly Father has blessed me with. I have been studying hard core some amazing General Conference talks from last years' conferences and have received a lot of insight that I want to include for y'all.

First, I want to talk about facing adversity. I felt prompted to read this talk and it made me pause and reflect on times in my mission when I've had to face adversity and how I faced it. In studying "All Things Work Together for Good" by Elder James B Martino of the Seventy I learned a LOT about how I could better face adversity. Every single one of us will face trials, big or small, not knowing how long we must endure them, and it is simply how we react to the said difficulties that will determine our success and happiness. It's all up to us and our mindset. The real challenge is gaining an eternal perspective--seeing beyond the the trial that is here and now. God knows the end from the beginning. Trust Him.

The next thing I learned was from President Henry B. Eyring's talk "Act in All Diligence." Holy holy was I humbled by this talk. I applied it all to my service and call as a missionary and was very touched by the trust my Father in Heaven has in me. The magnitude of trust that He has placed in me is astounding and almost frightening. He could have chosen any girl to serve in this area, to teach these certain people, but He chose and trusts me. Something that he said that really stuck out to me was, "This is the Lord's church. He called us and trusted us even in the weaknesses He knew we had. He knew the trials we would face. By faithful service and through His Atonement, we can come to want what He wants and be what we must be to bless those we serve for Him. As we serve Him long enough and with diligence, we will be changed. We can become ever more like Him."

I am so humbled by this opportunity to serve my Savior. I honestly cannot believe that He chose me. He stuck with me. There are times I sit and reflect on how much my mission has blessed my life and I feel so unworthy of it. I feel that I have done nothing to warrent it. I have witnessed miracles, have helped people come unto Christ, have felt myself come to Christ. How amazing it is for me to have the gospel in my life. I took it forgranted, I truly did. And now I see the necessity of it not only in my life, but in the lives of others. I see how through it questions are answered, lives are patched together, and true joy is felt.

Either what I was sent here to teach is true, or it's not. This church is the only completely true church on earth, or it's not. The Book of Mormon is true, or it's not. But we as humans cannot determine these facts on our own. It is only through sincere prayer that we can know for ourselves. It is only through asking Heavenly Father. There is no other way to obtain the information except through study of the Book of Mormon and sincere prayer. No other way. So what do you have to lose by kneeling in fervent prayer and asking?

I know this church is true with every fiber of my soul. I know my name is Jenn, but I know the church is true even more than I know my own name. It's a crazy feeling, but I have it. We all can have that conviction. I'm so thankful for the ever present guidance the Lord gives me in my life. I truly am unworthy of His love, but He sees past my sins and weaknesses and loves me anyway.

I love you all so much. My heart is literally full as I write this email. I'm sure some of my Kennesaw friends are reading this and think I've changed. Yes, I've changed in the sense where I know who I am and what my purpose is here in this life, and it's beyond the stage and lights for me. It's me discovering ways that I can help others. But I'm still me. I'm still the awkwardly funny girl who laughs louder than anyone in the room, would eat Taco Mac queso all day every day, and loves hugs, Twilight, and Harry Potter. I'm still me, but there's a deeper sense of self that is anchored in my soul. And before I didn't have that.

Now that I'm pretty sure this is really long, I'm going to end it. I love you all more than you could even imagine, and pray that all y'all may find truth in your lives--if you allow it to find you.

love love love,
Sister Mack

(ps, the pictures: numero uno is from Elizabeth and Mike Liddiard's home. Those were once living lions. CRAZY!! Picture number two is from this morning at 6:40 of the sky outside our house.)


0 comments: