Monday, April 18, 2011

Transfer 9 Week 1

Folks, looks like I'll be in Reno, NV for another 6 weeks. Good thing too because this past week we set TWO different people with BAPTISMAL DATES!!!!! One of them is a little shaky--he told us on Sunday he wants to push it back because he's having doubts, but I know this is his time. He's just scared and allowing his doubts to occupy his mind more than he's allowing the things we've taught him to occupy his mind. I don't know how to say it, but I heard it in a talk that we have to give the church equal time. If we don't study and don't pray and don't read, of course we're going to doubt. We're not doing anything to get rid of the doubt!! So he said he's going to really start reading and praying. He's only 17, but he's ready. As for the other one, we have to overcome one thing: his alcoholism. He's struggling, but he's so great. Man I'm so excited about this next transfer!!!!

What I'm NOT excited about is the snow. I know, I know--PARTY POOPER!!! But that's okay. I really like the concept of snow--it's pretty and white and pure...but it's also wet, cold, and hard to walk in. It started snowing yesterday, melted, and then snowed last night, is 1/2 way melted, but is supposed to keep snowing Tuesday-Saturday....oopsies. But I'm driving well in it now, no biggie. I am also a professional mountain driver. Sweet, right? There's this geiger pass we have to drive up in order to get to of our areas (Virginia Highlands). The first time I went up it took me 20 minutes to go up and 20 to come down. Last week I went up in 8 and down in 7. I'm not speeding--I'm just more comfortable with the turns and stuff and actually going to suggested speed limit of 45 MPH. I think everyone would be quite impressed with my driving skills.

HOLY HOLY so it was so cool--Saturday night I was prompted to fast (giving up of food for 2 meals for spiritual strength) for Calvin, our investigator who is having doubts about his baptism date. First of all, I had NO CLUE he was having doubts until Sunday. Second of all, 2 of his friends ALSO decided to fast on his behalf. So when we met Sunday evening BAM I was prompted to tell him, and then his friend who was there told him that HE fasted for him too. MAN it's just so incredible how much the Lord guides us and will trust us with his promptings as long as we act on them. That's a hugely important part. Acting on promptings we receive. Faith is an action. We always need to act. Always need to be moving. Idleness is wickedness and leads us astray, while righteous actions show us the way. Sweet, I'm a poet.

We went on exchanges again with G-ville. And Sister Leilua and I went to iHop for breakfast. And guess what? A random couple paid for our meal!!!! Sis Leilua was going to treat me to breakfast for a late b-day present, but someone else beat her to it!!! So cool how that randomly happens to us/for us. And that couple will be blessed for that. So kind of them. I love the kindness of strangers.

And I'm now giong through my mid-mission crisis. As of tomorrow, 10 of the 11 Sisters I've served my mission with will be gone. And they've been leaving steadily since December. And then the only one that's still here leaves May 2nd. Then I'll be the oldest Sister in the Mission. That is so crazy to me. Time is moving by too quickly. I wake up in the morning and feel like I've been here 3 weeks and realize that in 10 days I'll have been out for an entire year. What the heck??? I never suspected it would go by this quickly. I now only have 4 transfers after this one, but I know they'll all fly by so quick. That's so weird to me.

I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve. It has been the greatest blessing in my life so far. I'm thankful for the love Heavenly Father has for me and His children. I'm thankful for the divine potential I have as a Daughter of God. I'm thankful for the gospel, for the comfort and guidance it gives to me and the people I'm teaching. I'm thankful to witness changes in people's lives and to see them fome before Christ with a "broken heart and contrite spirit," truly humble and ready to make the commitment to be baptized by one holding the Priesthood authority of God, thereby allowing them the most precious gift we can have here on the earth--the constant compaionship of the Holy Ghost.

I love you all so much. Keep being good and being an example to those around you--you never know who is watching.

love love love,
Sister Mack

0 comments: